F355 Challenge at Spa

ferramarc

F355 Challenge at Spa

Post by ferramarc »

Hello,

I’m pleased to introduce you VIN 104522 my second F355 Challenge, a ‘96 factory built model (my other one, VIN 101597, is a ’95 road registered Berlinetta Challenge Version).

104522 was ordered at Garage Francorchamps Belgium by the famous Belgian driver Jean Blaton, most know as “Beurlys” for his podiums in Le Mans in the late ‘60s.

104522 raced the F355 challenge under the colour of JB Racing but I’m still looking for her history. If anyone can help, be welcome.

She rest for some time, then was bought by Christophe d’Ansembourg, another regular Ferrari Challenge driver, for track days. After a crash of his brother at the top of Eau Rouge (hopefully not much damage, except a nervous wife ☺) the car has been refit by Garage Francorchamps and Gipi Motor.

I got the opportunity to buy 104522 from Christophe d’Ansembourg 2 years ago. My first test on track last year was quite short: just one lap and the rear bumper almost took fire because of the new exhaust! (the low noise exhaust is bigger and the bumper needs the original heat protection). It had to wait until now to test this wonderful car.

The video was shot in an early run with a time of 2’47”37 (my next lap in 2.47.64 shows that I was 2 seconds faster before I met these #@%#!!!# Mustang). Not too bad for my first experience with slicks. Unfortunately I had to stop with a broken wheel bearing (quite normal for a car not raced for a while).

Now that I have checked the “data” (Harry’s Lap Timer), I’m quite sure I will reach 2.43 next time. Then there will be another 1-2 seconds to find in Eau Rouge and Blanchimont to reach 2.41 but it would be too risky for my wallet ;-)

Anyway, those chrono’s are quite good (even compared to modern GT) and it is amazing how easy it is to drive the car: a little bit of understeering which is solved with a bit of break in entrance (set-up or an effect of the slicks?) and a huge grip on exit. LOT OF FUN ☺

See you soon on track.

Marc

PS. The withe car ant the end of Les Combes is a 488 Challenge driven by Florian Merckx (who won the Asia-Pacific Ferrari Challenge a couple of years ago and was my teammate for a Fun Cup race in 2016). I got the opportunity to make one lap as a passenger and … how to explain … same grip sensation as my years in karting 25 years ago but what an acceleration !!!!

https://youtu.be/hDXCFPez5KE
Robin348C

Re: F355 Challenge at Spa

Post by Robin348C »

Nice! That is seriously fast...

I'm at 3:13 lap times at Spa last year (my first Spa day in my car) but in a 348C and no slicks (semi-slicks). Still, one day I'd like try with slicks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qClmWF7MF5M

I've only driven the normal 488 at Spa but Jesus what a car already that is.....felt like a 458 Challenge without the sound.

Indeed Harry's lap timer is great.
Jasonberkeley

Post by Jasonberkeley »

Nice driving!
Robin348C

Post by Robin348C »

By the way Marc, on 17 June there will be the Spa Italia event. I will be there with my 348; maybe a nice opportunity to drive your F355. Last year I had a great time there.
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

Send us pics please