My considerations on the (best) 348 challenge.

Liuck420

My considerations on the (best) 348 challenge.

Post by Liuck420 »

A few days ago, friend Heinz asked me what I would think about the 348challenge for sale that came out on the market. Particularly of what will be sold at Maranello's auction on August 9th.

*I hope you have the patience and interest to read this post thoroughly.*

Foreword: I know this car for a few years and before the restoration, then I'll explain why...

I started from the considerations of the 348 TB challenge at auction on September 9th, and I will come to my thinking about the best 348challenge ever!

In the last 3 years I have come close to the challenge world and in particular the 348ch, I have seen many live and not, restored, found parts for friends and contacts who wanted to bring their cars back to their glory. I can say that I know this model well enough, including the many documents, photos, magazines, videos I have found and studied with care and passion.

Returning to the 348 TB challenge that will be on sale at RM 9 on Maranello, I can say that it is certainly a car with some relevance.
My "story" with this car goes back and starts about 2 years and a half ago; When, at the conclusion of a purchase of another 348 (ex challenge), I found myself with a friend / partner to consider another proposal, another 348 ex-challenge (which we then found to be the TB of the Ferrari site labeled MO, which will be Auction at Maranello.

I was suggested by an Italian merchant who sent me the photos of the car in an old and very dirty garbled garage.
The car, if I remember, had pieces of the roll bar mounted, and only a dubious challenge label on the back, which made them think of a real ex-challenge. The rest of the conditions did not promise very well, and they could see the plate MO_ _ _ _.
We could not get this car because we had already bought a purchase, but also because they told me that day it was already "stopped" by a German trader.
As I said a few days ago to Heinz, the required figure was quite low, but the conditions of the car in that garage seemed to justify it.
Only later did we discover the story that certainly gave him some prestige and value, even in those poor conditions.

The car was then restored on commission, very quickly, and I think resold to a landowner in the north (Sweden, Norway)
In the winter came a video made with these cars by an online Italian newsprint, which tried to exaggerate beyond, exaggerating, prestige and restoration.

The things I can say today about this car are:
- is that of the Ferrari site, in section 348 challenge (very recognizable by the same plaque readable to everyone)
- it was one of the 3 self-demonstrating and used car test cases, owned by Ferrari s.p.a.
- He never ran
- a good interior restoration has been made, but in the caring eyes of one of our car fans, it is apparent that the seats in kevlar are not the original ones of great value but are the most common seats re-lined in Red and with redesigned logo, also very bad and unreadable.
- battery-off connections are missing
- I'm not sure of real mileage ......
CONCLUDING, I CAN SAY THAT IT IS NOT THE BEST AS A RESTAURANT FEDELE...

I can say, however, that nowadays with the information and the wreck I know and know, there are 3 cars on all the world's chalenge, which have more value and historical significance than any other, and this auction's TB is Definitely one of those.
But, in my opinion, no less important, there are 2 more important "348" challenges known to date.
So, 3 cars on all, and as I think it is obvious, are 3 cars of the very first championship, that is ITALIAN.
(Already this is a degree of importance in my opinion on the other European championships and uses, less important than the birth of the challenge in Italy.)

And these are these. All three very important for different reasons.(List in purely random order)

-348 TB challenge ex Ferrari (never raced),
Important because of its first Ferrari ownership, for the original MO plate and its presence still on the official Ferrari site. I think it was one of the 3 demonstration cars used by Ferrari in those years to promote the challenge.
Not the best as race's palmares, nor even as fidelity in restoration ... I have doubts about engine and real mileage from what I know, but I can not say null with certainty so I do not spit words.

-348 TS Challenge the first challenge ever -1992 in GT series
Important for the history of Ferrari Challenge, was the first 348 modified to race in Italy in 1992, with a first experimental kit. Being competed by a Roman gentleman pilot in the SUPER GT and GRAN CRITERIUM championships, and considering the aptitude to racing, Sergio peroni's idea, Ferrari took it as a "prototype" for various studies. Made solo model in the World Cup finals in Mugello as the only racing 348, along with the 250gto, on the occasion of the 30th anniversary.
Thanks to the experience of this car the next year was the 348 challenge.
In addition, the car today presents itself as the best preserved and original restoration.

It was certainly not the 348ch faster, and not even with the controversial race results.
After 1994 he stopped running.

-348 TB challenge first winner 1993 first year -with R.Ragazzi
Important for the story and race results. It was one of the fastest 348ch for all 2 years of single-handed.
WINNED the very first year 1993 on all, with the R.Ragazzi driver.
Very fast car in those years and with many photos and testimonials.
Surely one of the most famous and famous for its victories.

Auto specially preserved, without much restoration work, not the best, for aesthetic conditions of body and interior.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I put some photos of these three cars in the post, so you can recognize them.
I hope I have done something pleasing and that I have been right.
I do not think the best expert, but a good passionate, this is just my thoughts, I am open to any comment and suggestion.

Thank you for spending a few minutes reading this.
(And apologize for my bad English) :)
Attachments
348 TB challenge ex Ferrari (never raced)
348 TB challenge ex Ferrari (never raced)
348 TS Challenge the first challenge ever -1992 in GT series
348 TS Challenge the first challenge ever -1992 in GT series
348 TB challenge first winner 1993 first year -with R.Ragazzi
348 TB challenge first winner 1993 first year -with R.Ragazzi
challenger24

Re: My considerations on the (best) 348 challenge.

Post by challenger24 »

What a Story, thank you Luca, will answer later, mille grazie ;-)
Andi355

Post by Andi355 »

What a great great post, you are a real enthusiast!!!!

Please more postings!

Thanks a lot

Andi
ShaneLewis

Post by ShaneLewis »

These story comes from a real motorsports freak!

Thanks for teaching us!

Shane
Mangusta

Post by Mangusta »

I have bought a 355 last year, wish I had the money for one of the 348 CH!
Whats the price range of those 348 CH????

Mangusta
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

Mangusta wrote: Mon 14. Aug 2017, 17:01 I have bought a 355 last year, wish I had the money for one of the 348 CH!
Whats the price range of those 348 CH????

Mangusta
For the RM car is no estmate yet, but I would think 120-140 eur
Liuck420

Post by Liuck420 »

thank you all, really...for appreciate my thinking ;)
SoCalTim

Post by SoCalTim »

Nice stuff :)
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

@Liuck

thank you for your Report, well done and interesting.

I am still sure that specialy the 348 Challenge cars are like undiscovered. Interesting also that there is a big gap between the US (from '94 on) and the Euro cars, in interest and also in the value.

Lets see what the RM car brings. It will sell for sure (no reserve) and then the yellow ts is also off the market.

348 Challenge = beginning of modern GT racing!
ACS

Post by ACS »

Guys, very thoughtful infos. A topic worth to further elaborate is the question why there is a significant gap in value between Porsche Cup cars (964, 993) and challenge cars (348, 355). A 964 Cup car trades between 250 and 300k also the street legal RS without race pedigree. A multiple of a normal street legal 964/993 car. Will this gap ever persist or could this be closed and what do you think needs to happen in the latter case?