WEC -2017

Chrixxx

Re: WEC -2017

Post by Chrixxx »

Mr. Waliser of Porsche mentioned back in 2016 that Bruni would fit into the GT Driver lineup. However, Bruni closed a 5 years contract last year with Ferrari and he gets paid for that loyalty. Now he changed his mind and want to join Porsche (GTE, not LMP1!). But Ferrari is doing the right thing and just send him on garden leave. I doubt to see him racing in 2017.
Fernardi

Post by Fernardi »

So who will be in the 51 with James? Only Andrea Bertolini without an announced programme so far. Maybe an Academy driver! Raffaele Marciello maybe? Or maybe someone like Alessandro Pierguidi... Matt Griffin.... Marco Ciocci....Chrixxx ??
Chrixxx

Post by Chrixxx »

Final decision not made yet but i don't expect any of the mentioned ones... Matt, Marco, Andrea are more from the "B" Squad. Academy is single seaters, i expect more to have a experienced GT Pro, maybe ex Audi LMP, Porsche etc... i know that there will be a test soon but can't go into details here.
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

Ferrari Driver Shootout Set for Bruni Replacement

Ferrari is set to test no fewer than four different drivers, in its search for a replacement for Gianmaria Bruni in its FIA World Endurance Championship lineup. (En Français)

Endurance-Info has learned that the Italian manufacturer will hold a shootout at Vallelunga this week, which will see Alessandro Pier Guidi, Alex Riberas, Nyck de Vries and Miguel Molina audition for the factory GTE-Pro seat.

The test could confirm the fourth and final full-season driver in the AF Corse lineup alongside the returning James Calado, Davide Rigon and Sam Bird.

While Pier Guidi is no stranger to Ferrari machinery, Porsche ace Riberas, a race-winner in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship last year, impressed in the 2016/17 Asian Le Mans Series season at the wheel of DH Racing’s Ferrari 488 GT3 car.

Both GP3 standout de Vries and former Audi DTM driver Molina, meanwhile, have no prior sports car racing experience, but have achieved success in the open-wheel and touring car ranks, respectively.

Despite currently holding a multi-year deal with Ferrari, it’s understood Bruni will not likely be at the wheel of a Prancing Horse this year due to a contract dispute.

Bruni was absent from the Ferrari World Final, while the longtime factory driver also missed last month’s Rolex 24 at Daytona for the first time since 2013.

Multiple sources have indicated the Italian star could join Porsche mid-season, possibly after the 24 Hours of Le Mans, either in the manufacturer’s WEC or WeatherTech Championship factory entries.

Both manufacturers have yet to officially comment on Bruni’s status, although Dr. Frank Steffen-Walliser, Head of Porsche Motorsport, told Sportscar365 that he expects to confirm the remainder of its WEC GTE-Pro lineup by next month’s Prologue at Monza.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ferr ... placement/
image.jpeg
Deybit

Post by Deybit »

Quite understable decision by Gimmi. He had no more to do in Ferrari rather than keep in the GTE category. So i think he is right (like it or not) going to Porsche where he will have full official factory support and more ways to evolve as a driver. Let's do one year on the RSR and next year surely he have a seat waiting in the 919 LMP1 so he can be at the top top and win overall races. He really deserves a factory LMP1 drive.
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

Deybit wrote: Mon 6. Feb 2017, 17:00 Quite understable decision by Gimmi. He had no more to do in Ferrari rather than keep in the GTE category. So i think he is right (like it or not) going to Porsche where he will have full official factory support and more ways to evolve as a driver. Let's do one year on the RSR and next year surely he have a seat waiting in the 919 LMP1 so he can be at the top top and win overall races. He really deserves a factory LMP1 drive.
Agree with you
challenger24

Post by challenger24 »

image.jpeg
woody

Post by woody »

With the LMP1 field as it is now seems to me it will be rather easy to win overall, I think Bruni is a fool to leave AF CORSE, GT-PRO is where the prestige is now, he blew it in my opinion. I would have thought after last years bad showing at LeMans that Bruni would have wanted another shot at beating those damned Fords....but obviously that's not the case....I'm pissed off that he would leave the team and brand that gave him EVERYTHING....I mean he did the driving but it was the Ferrari that took him to the very top of his class.....see ya Bruni....Calado and I'm thinking Pier Guidi will do good....
Deybit

Post by Deybit »

Don't forget the Spanish driver Riberas. He is a really good driver, already beat PierGuidi in Qualifying during the Asian Le Mans Series race in Sepang. And we all know Pierguidi is a real killer in one fly lap.
I bet he will have a bright future with Ferrari.